BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
Permanent, Full Time
Looking for a career opportunity with an established and reputable national organization that makes a real difference in women’s health, values its employees and offers a comprehensive total compensation package including a hybrid working from home program?
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada’s (SOGC) ongoing mission is to lead the advancement of women’s health through excellence and collaborative professional practice.
The SOGC has over 3,000 members, comprised of obstetricians, gynaecologists, family physicians, nurses, midwives, and allied health professionals working in the field of sexual and reproductive health.
Since 1944, the SOGC continues to be a leading national and international authority on sexual and reproductive health and on evidence-based training and education. The SOGC leads the development of 12–17 clinical practice guidelines per year and hosts three regional continuing medical education meetings, and an Annual Clinical and Scientific Conference. The SOGC also coordinates and hosts in-person and virtual academic programs for participants at all stages of their career: medical students, residents and practicing health professionals.
Reporting to the Director of Business Development and Membership, the Business Development Specialist will assist in the creation of new development projects key to the progress of the existing business, mainly in the areas of sponsor related activities for Continuing Medical Education Events, Enhanced Skills Courses and the SOGC’s Brand Recognition Program. The Business Development Specialist would be responsible for gaining new leads, and ensuring approximately $200,000 of new business revenue, by assisting with the development and execution of the business plan.
The Business Development Specialist will act as a liaison between the Director of Business Development and other departments within the organization, namely the Finance, Communications and Continuous Professional Learning departments.
The Business Development Specialist will also assist with research, procurement, project management, invoicing, payment collections, and regular partner communications.
The job of the Business Development Specialist is to research industry trends, strategize and apply relevant marketing and business principals to improve existing projects and to gain new projects. They will also manage and make use of the resources of the SOGC and its affiliates to see a development project through to completion.
The responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Investigate, follow up and initiate contracts with new and renewal brand partners.
- Identify and properly qualify business opportunities through prospecting – plan, prepare and set up partner and industry discussions for the Director of Business Development and the CEO. This includes qualifying opportunities for the SOGC’s presence or involvement in other programs/conferences/tradeshows.
- Serve as the initial point of contact with targeted companies and communicate with them on a regular basis (oral and written).
- Plan and execute Continuing Medical Education Events including attending and overseeing evening accredited educational events.
- Assist in the development and execution of events and courses for the SOGC’s classroom.
- Coordinate and oversee exhibit sales and placement for exhibitors for the SOGC conferences.
- Initiate and prepare contracts for Director of Business Development’s review.
- Invoicing and payment collections.
- Maintain tracking of expected and committed revenue.
- Assist in budget forecast and expenditures with supporting rationale.
- Plan yearly budget for all industry partners.
- Assist in proposal documents including obtaining costing from vendors.
- Document meaningful conversations/agreements/partner developments in a CRM (customer relations management application).
- Keep abreast of the trends in the industry and technologies to assist in strategic business planning.
- Successfully manage and overcome prospect objections/partner complaints.
- Work cross functionally and in collaboration with other departments.
- Work to see various projects and the business plan to completion including implementation and involvement of internal and external staff/partners for various projects.
- Other duties, as the position requires, as per directed by Manager/Director.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE and KEY SKILLS
- Quick to absorb and analyze large amounts of information.
- Experience planning and executing Continuing Medical Education Events.
- Event planning experience.
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical/medical device and health care industries.
- Enthusiastic, energetic and imaginative.
- Flexible regarding working hours based on operational requirements.
- Willing to work on new projects and flexibility to change projects dependant on opportunity.
- Approachable, outgoing and diplomatic.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Able to present ideas with conviction.
- Highly organized.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- Ability to work both independently and in a team oriented, collaborative environment.
- Skilled at negotiating and motivating others.
- Commercial awareness.
- Familiarity with contracts.
- Emotional awareness.
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends.
- Must be willing to travel either locally or out of town.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Total Compensation Package.
- Benefits after three months.
- Pension matching after one year.
- Three weeks of vacation.
- Hybrid flexible workplace split between in-office and home office schedules.
Should you be interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resumé.
The SOGC is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. SOGC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.