Reporting directly to the CEO of the Empire Club of Canada, the Senior Manager, Strategic Marketing and Communications (SM) will be a motivated and energetic individual who is determined to make a difference and inspired by the opportunity to promote thought-leadership at the Empire Club of Canada (ECC). The SM will be a marketing leader who is looking for an opportunity to shape the digital and in-person experience of world-class audience.
The ideal SM will display a clear passion for staying updated on current news. As a result, they will understand the fundamental connections between the crucial realms of business and politics within the Empire Club - and how public policies across various government levels significantly influence current events, shaping the content decisions for each season's events.
A successful SM will look forward to being a leader within a high-profile, agile organization that has a reputation for presenting all emerging issues relevant to Canadian life and internationally.
As a passionate and experienced communicator, the successful candidate will work closely with
the team of 4 other members, to lead the Empire Club of Canada's marketing and communications functions for 30+ world-class events per season and ECC's membership program. The SM will have an opportunity to work with the CEO to align marketing strategy with overall objectives of the organization and integrate it with the strategy as set by the board of directors.
As head of ECC's Membership program (to be soon relaunched) the SM will further refine this program that will include acquisition, retention, and growth strategies. Membership engagement is a key initiative for the club and has defined our 120-year history.
This important new role at The Empire Club of Canada, reporting to the CEO, is intended to become permanent after an initial 18-month period and has arisen due to the growth and goals of the organization.
- Create and execute strategic marketing and communications
- Oversee social media and marketing development of content and publishing of content
- Responsible for PR and media relations exclusively
- Lead Membership Program including marketing, member-retention, and sales growth
- strategies - ensuring ECC is delivering our value promise to our members
- Create and maintain marketing and promotion plans
- Responsible for continuously improving website
- Maintain external event awareness calendar --assisting event scheduling and content development, by scanning the Toronto landscape and consulting with influencers.
- Collaborate with events team on in-event marketing and lead planning for membership-oriented in-event promotions.
- Lead database marketing strategy
- Responsible for marketing strategies and tactics with the goal of continuously increasing event ticket salesOversee Social (SM) media asset design and SM deployment
- Oversight on tracking, measurement, and analysis of marketing metrics
- Oversee Marketing KPIs
- Responsible for Membership Program KPIs- development of and data reports
- ECC will encourage and support cross-training on additional responsibilities within the organization
- Employ database categorization strategies to promote/improve sales
- Ensure all internal and external activities align with brand
Logistics & requirements:
- Remote/hybrid-office balanced environment
- Candidates must be based in Greater Toronto Area
- The SM will be a member of a team of five
- Small collaborative team -- will work closely with Senior Manager, Events
- Indirect reporting to Executive Director of Operations
- Staff supervision of partial FTE
- 7+ years of Strategic communications experience and event/organizational marketing
Experience, preferably in a non-profit organization
- College Diploma or University Degree
- Experience developing and executing event marketing campaigns via owned and social media channels
- Strong written and verbal communication and problem-solving skills; ability to communicate with confidence with executive level stakeholders
- Experience contributing to content development & social media specifically
- Ability to operate in a digital-first environment using digital tools including database management software, and WordPress content management software
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment that is fluid and constantly changing
- Strong people management and supervisory skills
- Sales instinct/aptitude
- A clear passion for and understanding of current events and a demonstratable aptitude for content development
- Political/public policy or business industry experience is an asset
Full-time (18- month contract) position based on $75K-$80K annually (intention to make this position permanent)
Three weeks vacation (per annum) and a comprehensive benefit package.
Who we are:
The Empire Club of Canada is a speaking forum for thought-leadership, advancing dialogue on issues of importance to Canadians for more than 120 years. Since its inception, the Empire Club has hosted 3,500 prominent Canadian and international leaders, including Winston Churchill, Ronald Reagan, the Dalai Lama, Indira Gandhi, Dr. Haley Wickenheiser, Premier Doug Ford, Prime Minister Trudeau, Mayor Olivia Chow and countless more.
Point of Contact: Jehan Karsan - Executive Director
Hiring Manager: Kent Emerson, Strategic Lead, Empire Club of Canada