Development & Communications Assistant
Union Classification: Non-Union
Number of Hours: Fulltime Permanent - 35 hours per week
Location: Office (Gillian's Place St. Catharines & Beamsville)/Remote
Posting Closes: Until a suitable candidate is found
Start Date: TBD
Wage Rate: $23 per hour.
As one of the first shelters of its kind in Ontario, Gillian's Place brings over 45 years of experience and expertise in gender-based violence service in Niagara. Since 1977, we have grown from an eight-bed emergency shelter to a multi-site provider of free and confidential services that support women, children, genderqueer, Two-Spirit, trans, and non-binary individuals escaping the cycle of violence and abuse. Today, these services include a 34-bed emergency shelter, second-stage housing, a 24/7 phone or text crisis support line, safety planning, expert counselling, child and youth programs, legal advice and support, education and violence prevention programs, and a transitional housing and support program.
Reporting to the Director of Development and Communications, the Development & Communications Assistant will play an instrumental role in the day-to-day administration of the Development and Communications Department. You will work closely with the Director and the Development Team in supporting the efficiency of the department and ensuring Gillian's Place provides an exceptional donor experience to our community of supporters. As with all employees of Gillian's Place, the Development Assistant has a strong understanding of gendered violence and a commitment to providing superior service to our clients.
Beyond the paycheque. Why you want to join our team!
We are an organization where you can realize your aspirations and achieve your personal and professional goals in an inclusive and supportive environment
- We are a dynamic and talented team who collectively provide practical compassionate client-centered care to those who have experienced gendered abuse
- We invest in our team through training, professional development opportunities, and wellness initiatives
- We are committed to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access
- As a first point of contact for members of our community, you will provide an exceptional experience to current and prospective donors, as well as other external stakeholders.
- Keep abreast of the needs of the organization and relay information to the public to appeal for donations. Coordinate donations drop off and pick-up.
- Responsible for acceptance and accurate recording of donations, including cash, cheque, credit, and debit.
- Enter donations, pledges, and other such funds/information from a variety of sources (cheques, cash, credit cards, and online donations) into the Donor Management System (DMS).
- Issue charitable tax receipts in accordance with internal policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- Reconciliation of online donations with payment gateway reports.
- Reconciliation between the DMS and the GL (Sage) with the assistance of the Finance & Payroll Coordinator.
- Provide confidential administrative support for the effective day-to-day functions of the Development and Communications Department.
- Develop social media content/monthly e-newsletter and prepare reports to inform strategy.
- Assist the Development Department with planning and execution of special events.
Qualifications & Experience
- University degree or college diploma.
- Minimum two years experience in administration, communication and/or fundraising.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft 365.
- Highly organized and a reliable self-starter, with the ability to handle several tasks simultaneously.
- Experience with social media fundraising and marketing, including best practices and effective use of digital tools.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and individually.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Access to reliable means of transportation
Gillian's Place is an equal opportunity employer. Any applicant who communicates the need for accommodation shall be considered in a manner that is non-discriminatory and respectful of our human rights obligations. The ability to communicate in French would be considered an asset.
All interested applicants should apply in writing.
Please be advised we only contact applicants who are selected for an interview. Gillian's Place is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of colour, First Nations/Aboriginal individuals, newcomers and immigrants, members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community, people of all abilities, and members of other underrepresented communities to apply.