- Location: Cape Breton University - Unama'ki College
- Deadline: February 15, 2024 at 11:59 pm
Anchored Recruiting is delighted to partner with the Cape Breton University - Unama'ki College to find a Communications and Brand Specialist to join their growing team. This position is Monday - Friday, 8:30AM - 4:30PM (on-site). Some evening and weekend commitments required.
CBU has a long history of engagement with the Mi'kmaw community and more recently has expanded its activities beyond Mi'kma'ki. Since the establishment of both the Purdy Crawford Chair in Aboriginal (Indigenous) Business Studies and In.Business: A National Mentorship Program for Indigenous Youth, CBU's Indigenous communications and marketing initiatives have grown with them. More recently under the leadership of Unama'ki College, the institution has begun to look at broader Indigenous issues both with Mi'kma'ki as well at the rest of Canada. With this broader scope of work comes increased capacity for communications and brand opportunities, specifically with and in Indigenous communities.
Reporting directly to the Dean of Unama'ki College, the successful candidate will oversee the development and implementation of communications and brand recognition strategies for Unama'ki College and the In.Business program. This individual will work closely with University Affairs, specifically the Marketing Department, to promote awareness of Indigenous programs and services at CBU and will more efficiently share Indigenous knowledge and deepen understanding of L'nu/Indigenous ways of knowing, with both external learners and stakeholders as well as the internal campus community.
We are looking for someone who takes pride in their work and has a passion for the community and the work that lies ahead. If you are self-driven, confident, independent strategic planner who can think outside of the box, this is the role for you!
- Play a critical role in representing the voice of Unama'ki College through effective communication strategies and tactics including but not limited to speech writing, campaigns, storytelling and brand journalism.
- Ongoing development and execution of marketing and communications strategy, planning, and programs for Unama'ki College and In.Business that support the strategic objectives of CBU.
- Serve as the primary content officer responsible for developing, writing, and editing strategically focused material that advances the goals of Unama'ki College and CBU through a broad range of channels encompassing print, online, experiential, and social media outlets.
- Work with Strategic Communications staff to recommend, develop, implement, and evaluate media strategies and provide timely and relevant media relation support in terms of writing news releases, organizing news conferences, and responding to media calls and inquiries.
- Lead the development of community awareness campaigns to more effectively share information about CBU programs and services offered through Unama'ki College.
- Serve as the first point of contact for internal/external inquiries to identify and seize communication opportunities.
- Manage Unama'ki College and Indigenous social media accounts and groups.
- Serve as the brand ambassador, ensuring brand guidelines are respected and used appropriately.
- Establish and implement internal training opportunities for the purpose of education.
- Budget development and management.
- Provide ongoing communication support to the Dean of Unama'ki College.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or a related field, with a minimum of three (3) to five (5) years experience in a complex work environment (within a post-secondary environment considered an asset).
- Knowledge of Indigenous communities, language, history, culture, and experience working with and in communities is essential.
- Knowledge of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, Calls to Action, and United Nations Declaration for the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) is essential.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills for a diverse range of purposes and formats, including print, online, interactive, and social media. Demonstrated skills in both proactive and reactive social media relations.
- Exceptional prioritization, organizational, and time-management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure in a high-volume environment and adapt to shifting priorities while meeting strict deadlines.
- Ability to make decisions and exercise sound judgement based on incomplete and/or complete information.
- Familiarity with analytics and other metrics used for evaluating the reach and impact of marketing and communication efforts is considered an asset.
- Ability to work within a team environment or independently, can easily build relationships.
- Experience with budget development and management is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated capacity working with youth in an education setting, with the ability to educate others is considered an asset.
- Out of province travel may be required.
- Valid drivers license and reliable transportation is required.
- Fluency in Mi'kmaq language is preferred, but not required.
Cape Breton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply but applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
If interested in this opportunity, please click the ?Apply' button. Please note this position will remain open until filled. Applicants will be reviewed in two-week windows
All information collected will be shared with our client, Cape Breton University. By submitting this application, Anchored Recruiting will be adding you to our Talent pool database. You may be contacted in the future regarding future job opportunities. Please note that this position is open to Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents only.
Unama'ki espi-kina'matno'kuom etek Mi'kma'ki, wla na no'kamanaq aq maqamikewminu mena'qiknmuetuk.
Cape Breton University is located in Mi'kma'ki, the ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaw People.