The TELUS World of Science - Edmonton (TWOSE) delivers programs and services that reflect the diverse and evolving interests of the community. Particular emphasis is given to making a positive difference in the lives of children, students, families, teachers, as well as employers and their employees.
Reports to: President & CEO
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Director Marketing & Community Relations leads government advocacy, community relations, internal and external communications, advertising and promotions, and the oversight of public fundraising. This position is responsible for cultivating relationships between TWOSE and the wider community through the development and implementation of comprehensive strategies that impact the long-term viability of the organization for marketing, communication, community engagement, and financial sustainability that enhance public perception of TWOSE.
The position leads the newly integrated team responsible for marketing, fund development, government and stakeholder relations, and partnerships. The Director will create a ?one team? environment in which all members work collaboratively and seamlessly in support of other departments, and the long-term success of TWOSE.
Engaged in fostering inclusivity and diversity within the community, the Director cultivates partnership opportunities and serves as a representative for the organization. The Director of Marketing and Community Relations will possess an extensive understanding of marketing, communications, stakeholder engagement, economic development, government relations, and public policy. Additionally, they will creatively express the mission and vision of TWOSE in a manner that resonates with a diverse audience.
As a vital member of the senior leadership team, the Director of Marketing & Community Relations guides and empowers a team, cultivating their skills to execute strategic marketing and fundraising initiatives. This includes securing philanthropic donations and gifts from supporters to sustain operations, enhance programs, and drive capital campaigns.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the senior leadership team to advance the objectives of TWOSE;
- Operationalize and execute the strategic plan by providing clear priorities and clarifying roles, responsibilities, and performance expectations for the Marketing & Community Relations department;
- Provide input and monitor the implementation and evaluation of the annual Business Plan and budget;
- Utilize data-driven approaches to evaluate strategies and opportunities for TWOSE and the Marketing & Community Relations department;
- Develop and implement corporate communications, marketing, stakeholder relations & fund development strategies, in consultation with the Senior Leadership team;
- Proactively collaborate with leaders across the organization to prioritize needs and ensure consistent messaging;
- Provide strategic advice to the President and CEO as well as senior staff on all issues related to the Municipal, Provincial and Federal governments; and
- Identify and source grants, strategic partners, and government funding.
Communications & Marketing Leadership
- Implement the corporate marketing and communications strategies, with particular emphasis on priorities, timelines, and measures of success;
- Lead the planning, creative direction, and implementation of marketing campaigns for TWOSE, special exhibits, programs, special events and new initiatives;
- Elevate the TWOSE brand, positioning it as a go-to destination in Edmonton; develop successful strategies for engaging and enticing the public and members through effective advertising, media, public relations and social media strategies;
- Collaborate with other departments within the organization-e.g., Guest Experience, Science Experience and Education -to assess audience and guest data and develop engagement, resource allocation, and revenue-generating strategies based on these; and
- Establish partnerships with key media, suppliers, vendors and more to maximize ROI.
Stakeholder Relations Leadership
- Implement the corporate stakeholder relations strategy, with particular emphasis on priorities, timelines, and measures of success;
- Establish and sustain strong working relationships and collaborative partnerships with agencies, linked services, and community stakeholders to further the goals of the organization;
- Nurture strong relationships with government (municipal, provincial, federal);
- Act as an ambassador and spokesperson for TWOSE to ensure its mission, programs, and services are consistently presented in a positive manner; and
- Represent TWOSE at community events to enhance the organization's community profile.
Fund Development Leadership
- Implement the corporate fund development strategy, with particular emphasis on priorities, timelines, and measures of success to ensure program sustainability and enhancement;
- Collaborate with the team to identify prospective individual and corporate donors and develop strategies to cultivate those relationships; and
- Lead all fundraising activities, programs and events.
- Champion a culture of collaboration and service so that all team members are unified in their approach to supporting the success of TWOSE;
- Manage a team of specialists and other staff, aligning their efforts in a one-team environment;
- Empower the team to bring their best ideas and efforts to the table, understanding when to step in to assist, and when to let individuals shine;
- Demonstrate creative and collaborative leadership, innovation, and problem-solving within and across diverse teams; and
- Coach and mentor team members at all levels to achieve results. Meet regularly to ensure work is progressing and engagement is high. Through both formal and informal performance management processes, offer both mentorship and constructive feedback when required.
First-Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate's ability to:
- Achieve a smooth integration of the Government & Community Relations and Marketing & Communications teams, fostering a one-team culture and a high degree of collaboration;
- Develop and communicate a cohesive strategic plan for the department that allows staff to take a creative, forward-thinking and proactive approach to their work;
- Set clear goals and objectives that allow teams to understand their roles in meeting targets;
- Demonstrate financial acumen, both through adhering to established budgets and through data-driven decision-making that identifies a positive return on investment for programs; and
- Champion a collaborative approach evidenced by closer relationships with other departments, strong connections to funders, and a re-ignited government relations program.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Relevant post-secondary degree (i.e. business, marketing, communications)
- Leadership experience (preferably director-level) in a complex environment in which marketing, communications, fund development, government and community relations have been all been critical to organizational success;
- Successful oversight of a multi-disciplinary team of similar size is desired;
- Prior success in transforming a department or organization to be more outcome-focused; and
- 7+ years of experience in one or more of the following:
- Strategic marketing and communications; or
- Fundraising, government relations and/or public policy and granting
Competencies and Attributes:
- Excellent communicator: demonstrates open and transparent communication, including the ability to define a vision with clear expectations and outcomes. Comfortable acting as the face and voice of TWOSE.
- Empowering leader: Cultivates an environment that encourages team members to collaborate, challenge and think critically about their work. Champions taking ownership of results.
- Relationship builder: Understands the value of connection and building positive relationships both inside and outside of the organization; diplomatic with high emotional intelligence.
- Financial acumen: Well-rounded understanding of financials and their impact on team operations. Expertise in both developing and adhering to budgets.
- Strategic & goal-oriented: Demonstrates a strategic and forward-thinking mindset, with the ability to articulate and translate strategies into action plans.
- Collaborative: Thinks at an enterprise level, and partners with internal team members to achieve desired organizational outcomes.
- Data-driven decision maker: Utilizes data to build business cases and to drive investment decisions.
- Continuous improvement mindset: An individual who is not satisfied with the status quo and wishes to continually challenge themselves and their team toward incremental improvement.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
TELUS World of Science - Edmonton is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. TWOSE welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourages women, members of racialized communities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at the time of application. In accordance with provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Mullen and TWOSE throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
If this opportunity excites you, please send a resume and cover letter via Isarta with the job title and organization name in the subject line of your email.